Minutes of the August 27, 2016 Meeting of the NJ/NY Costumers' Guild, aka The Sick Pups
Taken by Diane Kovalcin, Vice President
Meeting held at Diane Kovalcin's house, Kendall Park, NJ
Attending: Diane, Kathryn, Marcy, Stephanie & Rich.
Meeting called to (dis)order at 2:15 pm.
1. Minutes of previous meeting approved.
2. Treasurer's report – Univest is the new bank. We have non-profit checking, no minimum balance, no service fees. Marcy has to check on the check fees. All previous fees were returned prior to the bank change. Current balance is $292.96. Marcy had the Sept. statement from the old bank. She will forward the new statement when she gets it.
3. GEL application - Marcy emailed Kathy about it. It has been taken care of, according to Marcy. Elaine Sims from GEL does the paperwork for every year. Marcy is converting all the information into Quicken and in future, it will make it easier for the ICG.
4. Webpage – Sue Toker wasn't at the meeting so there was no new information on the webpage.
1. Intrepid museum – Star Fleet experience now through Oct 31. USPS is issuing Star Trek commemorative stamps (forever stamps).
2. ManusxMachina – Closed Sept 3.
3. FIT exhibits – no one knew what they were so we moved on.
4. Kathy and Diane talked about costume exhibits in Scotland (military uniforms and one weird kid's costume that had to be seen to be believed).
Show and Tell:
1. Kathy and Diane talked about Scotland, Diane talked about the Harry Potter train (Jacobite Steam Train). Diane also mentioned Iceland folk costumes that she'd seen while visiting a reenactment farm in Iceland.
1. Shore Leave – Stephanie & Rich went to the convention. Karen Gillian and others were there. The masquerade did not go by ICG rules/categories but did have workmanship. The presentations were long. They also had Mystery Science Theater with Peter David and others mocking Spock's Brain.
1. Star Trek Mission in NYC, Sept 2-4, 2016. The 50th anniversary with tons of Trek actors, NASA people and writers.
2. LI Who – Nov 11-13, 2016. Kathy is going
3. Philcon – Nov 18-20, 2016 Marcy and Diane are going
4. Arisia – Jan 13-16, 2017 Stephanie and Rich are going
5. Lunacon – April 7-9, 2017 at Westchester Marriott. Diane is going
6. Heliosphere - March 10-12, 2017 in Tarrytown
7. Albacon - March 31-April 2, 2017
8. LI Geek - April 21-23, 2017
9. Costumecon - April 21-24, 2017 in Canada
10. Regeneration Who – March 24-26, 2017 at the Renaissance Baltimore
Elections: postponed until the next meeting due to low attendance
1. Spaz library – no one is working on it/posting about it at the moment.
2. Meeting notices – there were no bounced emails so it is assumed they all went through. To clarify, meeting notices from 8/27/16 will be email only. One new person didn't get the notice because Kathy didn't know about the membership. Marcy and Kathy exchanged mailing information on the new person.
1. Workshop for Nov. meeting will be 'stitch and bitch'.
2. Workshop for Dec 3 meeting will be round-robin discussion of masquerade jobs and what they entail.
3. Future workshop might include watching youtube 'how-to' videos for techniques that others can't or don't know how to teach.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:10 PM.
Workshop on making a camera hood by Diane Kovalcin commenced immediately afterwards.
Revised Nov 6, 2016.